Saturday, October 9, 2010
Initial Blog
Hello and welcome to my sociology blog. I have been teaching sociology at the high school level for seven years now, and I would really like to make things more interactive by using the blogosphere to covey what we learn each semester. There are so many sociological issues that we can examine throughout each semester. Presently, we are finishing up socialization and the importance of human contact and communication as a means of social growth and development. I think it is a very agreeable point that all humans are social creatures and require socialization with other people. The chapter in the textbook we use begins by explaining the lives of Anna, Isabelle, and Genie. All three of these young girls came from situations involving neglect, abuse, and isolation. All three girls suffered socially and physically because of this. One of the things that I would like to discuss on this blog entry is the importance of the four major agents of socialization (parents, peer group, mass media, and educational system) and how they contribute to one's ability to socialize and fit in. Along with this, I want to discuss the things these agents should do in regards to helping children develop healthier, happier social lives. Please feel free to contribute to this discussion. It is an opinion board. Do not feel that there is a correct or incorrect answer. I want to know what you think the roles of the four major agents of socialization should be in regards to helping one learn to thrive and survive socially. I also would like for you to add anything from the chapter that really caught your attention and enlightened you. Again, welcome to this blog, and please do not feel hesitant or apprehensive to contribute.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment